March 8, 2009

Lasang Pinoy Sundays: BREAD-y Or Not

Labels: ,



I love breads specially sweet ensaimada, brioche, and challah, all very yummy, crusty rustic bread simply dipped in olive oil, and of course my favorite of all, hot pan de sal with lots of butter or filled with cheese pimiento and pancit guisado. I know I shouldn't be eating too much bread because the calories go straight to my arms and hips but I could care less, I can't live without bread.:-)

Sweet Potato Challah Bread Pudding3 cups milk
2 tablespoons melted butter
6 tablespoons sugar or to taste
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups cubed sweet potato challah, recipe here (or plain challah, pan de sal, brioche, French bread)
1 cup coarsely chopped candied ginger, golden raisins, or dried fruit of your choice
powdered sugar for dusting
  • Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
  • In a medium bowl, beat eggs with sugar until light yellow in color. Add milk, butter, and vanilla extract, mix well.
  • Place half of the bread cubes into a baking dish or individual ramekins. Sprinkle with half of the candied ginger, repeat with the remaining bread cubes and candied ginger. Pour the milk mixture all over, press down so that the custard covers the bread completely. Place the baking dish or ramekins in a large pan. Carefully fill the large pan with hot tap water halfway up the sides of the baking dish.
  • Bake ramekins for 45 minutes, baking dish for 1 hour or until tops is golden brown. Gently press down the middle to check if the custard is fully cooked. Remove from oven, cool slightly before dusting with powdered sugar. The pudding is also good cold.
Lasang Pinoy Sundays hosted by SpiCes is a weekly photography meme. Click on the yellow button to view more BREAD-y Or Not entries.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ph wow! That looks so yummy!

Anonymous said...

hehehe I mean "Oh wow!"

MUSHROOMSfromHOME said...

would like to do this. sounds easy, hope it actually is. was contemplating on doing brioche or challah, but i thought they sounded difficult so i opted to do honey bread instead. your fotos are very nice!

Jescel said...

this would be perfect for my sweet challah! looks yummy.

Anonymous said...

My first time to hear about challah as what I most often hear from this part of the world is "Insha'allah!" :)

Your bread post looks truly delish!

Anonymous said...

something for me to experiment on! i hope the kids will like this:)

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't expect less from you! Your breads are awesome naman lagi...(di ba meron ka blog for breads alone?)

I'm sure masarap yan at kahit sa likod ko mapunta ang calories pahingi pa din :D

(I moved to www.kitchenmaus.gmirage.com)

Anonymous said...

Wow, those look so elegant and delicious! I'm printing out your sweet potato challah recipe to try out. I have some sweet potatoes in the cupboard waiting to be used up :)

Oggi said...

Hi all, thanks.:)

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com