April 14, 2009

Glutinous Rice Snacks

Labels: , , , , ,


betcha can't eat just one of these crispy chewy glutinous rice macapuno balls
Several months ago several readers emailed me asking if I can post the recipes for bilo-bilo, buchi, or bicho. These, I believe are variations of the Filipino snack made with glutinous rice and water or coconut milk formed into tiny balls or flat ovals usually boiled in coconut milk, or steamed, fried or baked. The balls I made today are a combination of several recipes I found online. I don't know what it should be called, I think glutinous rice balls or bilo-bilo are both okay. Or Crispy Chewy Sweeties. BTW, I prefer these tiny snacks without any sauce, except for the plains ones which I like with caramelized sauce flavored with a little soy sauce.

Macapuno Bilo-bilo
1 cup glutinous rice flour
½ cup water
½ cup chopped macapuno
light olive oil for frying
coconut sauce or brown sugar sauce (boil 1 cup brown sugar and ½ cup water until syrupy), optional

  • In a mixing bowl, combine the glutinous rice flour and water until a dough is formed. Adjust water or flour as necessary. Add the macapuno to the dough and mix well.
  • Form dough into 1½ inch balls and place on a platter.
  • Heat half an inch of oil in a medium non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Fry the dough balls a few pieces at a time until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately with or without sauce.
  • For simple bilo-bilo, omit macapuno and fry as above. Serve with preferred sauce.
  • Variations: omit macapuno and add chopped sweetened ripe jackfruit or grated young coconut.
  • Sauce variation: caramelize 1 cup white sugar and ½ water, add a few drops of soy sauce.
Buchi
1 cup boiled and mashed yellow mungbeans
1 cup sugar, or to taste
2 cups glutinous rice flour
¾ cup to 1 cup water
½ cup boiled and mashed taro
light olive oil for frying
  • Combine mungbean and brown sugar. Form into 1-inch balls. Set aside.
  • In a medium bowl, combine flour and ¾ cup water until a stiff dough is formed. Add more water as needed, 1 tablespoon at a time. Mix in the mashed taro.
  • Form the rice taro dough into golf ball size rounds, flatten a little bit, place a mungbean ball in the middle, gather rice dough together and seal. Flatten to about half inch thick ovals.
  • Fry in hot oil until golden brown. Serve immediately.
  • Variation: fill with a mixture of sugar and toasted sesame seeds.
  • Keep leftover mungbean paste in an airtight container and refrigerate.

eat them while they're hot and puffed

11 comments:

Sidney said...

I should try them one day... now that I know what is inside ! ;-)

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Mmmm - this looks delicious and takes me back to my mom's home cooking!

Lory said...

I remember this buchi!!! I love that!!! Thanks for the recipe, now I can try making it (I probably will use red beans, though, or some with mung beans, some red).

Mirage said...

haha those buchi are my favorite pasalubong from mama when she comes back from the market lol. I had a similar one sometime this week...natuwa naman ako makita that you made some pala...may macapuno pa! haha I think having one is patakam! lol.

Oggi said...

Sidney, sometimes there's nothing inside but they're good with syrup.

Joelen, mine didn't cook these when we were young, she bought them from the market.:)

Manang, I forgot about sweet azuki beans which is also good in buchi.:)

G, so we were thinking of the same snacks. I saw the macapuno bilo-bilo in a Filipino recipe web site, ang sarap, try it. No need for syrup kasi the macapuno is already very sweet:)

caninecologne said...

oh wow, buchi! i haven't had that in years! my mom used to make that a long, along with carioca!

caninecologne said...

i meant, "a lot"

oops

Oggi said...

CC, first time I made buchi. I'll regularly make them with other fillings like sweet azuki bean paste and maybe ube haleya.

caninecologne said...

ube haleya would be delicious. that's also another dessert my mom used to make when i was a kid. of course that was when she had lots more time...i love the red bean filling in buchi!

MasPinaSarap said...

This is the same as "karioka" no? I should try making them sometime :)

Oggi said...

R, sweet azuki beans may be strange to Americans but in the Philippines, Japan, Korea and almost all Asian countries it's a favorite dessert or bread filling.:)

MasPinaSarap, yeah, I saw a few websites that call them carioca or karioka. It's very simple to make but for the frying.:)

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com