August 27, 2009

The Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge 15: Italian Bread

Labels: ,

Italian Bread

After eating a few slices, I think I may have found our daily bread, it's The Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge recipe 15, Italian Bread. I love everything about it, from the wonderful aroma to the slightly chewy crust and soft [milky] chewy moist delicious sweetish crumb, this is the perfect everyday breakfast or sandwich bread.

Although it takes 2 days, most of it while the biga is resting in the refrigerator, the whole baking process including shaping is super easy. I will tweak and experiment with this recipe perhaps using sourdough starter along with instant yeast, and maybe adding a little whole wheat or rye flour. I'll be making it regularly with or without milk until I get tired of it or another superb recipe comes along. For now, this is my favorite bread.

I was never interested in baking Italian bread before because the loaves I've had from grocery stores and bakeries were bland and the crumb dry and fluffy. Thanks again Nicole for creating this challenge because I never would have tried baking it on my own and would not have known that homemade Italian Bread is so very yummy.

Italian Bread And Hoagie Rolls
I made six 4-ounce hoagie rolls and the rest of the dough into a 14-inch loaf. The rolls and loaf both had good oven spring.

Meatballs Sandwich
Italian meatballs on a top-split hoagie roll, yum yum

Rating:
flavor 5
texture 5
visual appeal 5
ease of preparation 5
performance 5
worth 5
Total: 30
Average: 5

5 comments:

Cindy said...

Gorgeous crumb on your Italian loaf. I have not done this one yet and I was thinking exactly what you thought about store bought Italian bread. Glad to hear it was a success.

Pete Eatemall said...

I loved the Italian bread too! But I find myself saying that about every bread...The rolls you made look fabulous! Happy Baking!

misterrios said...

Your loaves are fabulous. Plus that crumb is awesome.

I totally understand about buying Italian Bread from the market. When I lived in Brooklyn, all Italian bread was either floppy and more like white bread or dry and tasteless.

Nico said...

Very good job!! love that bread

Oggi said...

Cindy, thanks. I'll never buy or even look at another grocery Italian bread again!:D

P, thanks. So far the delicious ones outnumber the mediocre.:)

MisterRios and Nico, thanks. I've already baked another batch.:)

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com