September 14, 2009

BBAC 19: Marbled Rye Bread

Labels: ,

Marbled Rye Bread
Marbled Rye Bread
roast beef and coleslaw

The Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge 19: Marbled Rye Bread. This is one of my favorite breads in the book; not only does it remind me of one of my favorite Seinfeld episodes, The Rye, it is also very tasty and chewy. The toasted slices make the best pastrami or roast beef sandwich specially with a layer of coleslaw or sauerkraut.

Mixing and kneading is not too difficult but the dough has the tendency to dry while proofing and shaping so I make the dough a teensy bit more wet. I have a small bottle of liquid caramel but I prefer using powdered caramel because it makes the dough darker. And the most fun part I have in baking this bread is the shaping. I love the swirl shape but the marbled loaf is more fun because the slices come out with different patterns and therefore never boring.


Marbled Rye Bread
Marbled Rye Bread
Marbled Rye Bread


Rating:
flavor 5
texture 5
visual appeal 5
ease of preparation 5
performance 5
worth 5
Total: 30
Average: 5

9 comments:

Pete Eatemall said...

How amazing your bread looks!! I cant wait to get to marbled rye!! Its one of my favorites! Happy Baking!

Sidney said...

That is an artistic bread !

Lory said...

absolutely gorgeous!
How's the texture and taste (Sorry I cannot relate to the scoring down below your post).
I once tried baking some rye bread and was absolutely turned off. I still have the organic rye flour in my fridge. Maybe this will be the redeeming recipe. Do you have a link to the recipe?

Mags @ the Other Side of 50 said...

I'm so jealous of your color contrast! That is some beautiful bread you've got there.

Oggi said...

Thanks all.:)

Manang, the bread is soft and chewy with a hint of sweetness from the molasses. The caraway seeds give a nice flavor to the bread.

This is the only site I can link that has the recipe posted. I won't recommend the coffee crystals or cocoa powder, though. Hope this helps and hope you'll like it this time.:)

misterrios said...

Wow, look at that amazing swirl!

Cindy said...

That sliced bread is a work of art!! I am looking forward to making it. I'm just waiting for my caramel coloring to arrive from KA.

Frieda Loves Bread said...

I've got my marbled rye baking in the oven and I'm drooling over yours....love the post and the rating~

Anonymous said...

I agree with you on the coffee thing.

I read your entry before making mine, but really wanted to bake it this weekend, so I used coffee, which is what I had

does not work the same way. Well, I also butchered the marbling...

There is always next time.... :-)

Yours is outstanding!

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com