March 31, 2011

Banana-cue

Labels: , , , ,

Banana-cue


Food Friday


Banana-cue is a favorite Filipino street food made with cooking bananas called saba. Despite its name, banana-cue is not grilled; they are deep-fried with brown sugar and skewered in bamboo sticks for portability. I prefer banana-cue cooked until the sugar caramelizes and becomes hard and brittle.

Banana-cue
6 ripe firm saba bananas, or ripe plantains
2 cups light olive or grapeseed oil
¼ cup dark brown sugar
small skewers
  • Heat oil in a medium pan or wok and fry bananas for 2 minutes. Add brown sugar and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 more minutes or until sugar has caramelized and bananas are evenly coated. Skewer each banana and serve immediately while still warm and crunchy.

6 comments:

maiylah said...

yummm...when i was pregnant with my youngest i always had this as my afternoon snack (gusto ko sana kahit morning, kaso si manang nagtitinda afternoons lang, lol). tamad naman ako magluto, at ung helper namin dati di marunong. lol

i think it's about time i try cooking this myself! pero i want to try turon with langka...i wonder if mas mahirap lutuin un?

Joy said...

Ohh I wish I could find saba banana. I love love this take.

i♥pinkc00kies said...

favorite!! :D i love camote-q too :D

Mirage (gizelle) said...

One thing I won't see here are our plaintains :( only in bottles, sweetened lol. The hubby one time made use of ordinary bananas, that's the chinese version and served it with honey :) will post it soon. Enjoy this sunday and do have a lovely week ahead!

caninecologne said...

hi oggi - i love when the sugar is caramelized - there if a Filipino store nearby that does this snack occasionally. they also make turon and i just love the hard, crackly sugar!

Oggi said...

Maiylah, mas matrabaho ang turon but it's so yummy with chopped langka.:)

Joy, try the frozen section of your Asian store.:)

Pink cookies, you reminded me that I also love camote-cue and I bought a few pieces.:

Gizelle, I can't wait for the recipe, masarap siguro.:)

R, I think I'll make turon this week.:)

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com