February 16, 2012

Baliwag Pandesal

Labels: , , ,


I've had these bite size sweet rich soft yellowish pandesal back in the Philippines. A few Filipino bloggers claim these are the Baliwag-style rolls. The recipe they follow is the same as the pan de leche, with the addition of milk of course.  

Reading through one of the recipe suggestions, I thought it's very similar to the recipe I've had for over 25 years. I probably got it from National Bookstore. It was sold in envelopes; outside is a sheet of yellowish paper with a photo of the rolls stapled onto it, which attracted me to buy it in the first place, and inside is the recipe typewritten on a half sheet of thin bond paper. The ingredients and method remind me of ensaymada, brioche, and a bit of croissants because of the roll-spread butter-roll again a few times procedure.



I followed the recipe just once before and it was a total FAIL because I was a baking newbie at the time. The recipe sat inside a baking cookbook for years and years but somehow I never thought of throwing it away and I'm glad I didn't. I adapted the recipe to my preference and rewritten it for clarity. Preparation is more involved than regular pandesal but the hard work is all worth it; the rolls are soft, fluffy, delicious, and definitely superior to store-bought.

Special (Baliwag) Pandesal
2½ cups bread flour
1½ teaspoons instant yeast
3 tablespoons sugar, add 1 more tablespoon if preferred
½ cup warm water
½ cup warm milk, divided
1½ teaspoons fine sea salt
4 egg yolks
5 tablespoons soft butter
very fine bread crumbs
  • Whisk together 1 cup flour, yeast, and sugar in the bowl of a standing mixer. Add water and ¼ cup milk and stir with a rubber spatula until well combined. Leave for 5 minutes. Attach dough hook, add salt, egg yolks, the rest of the flour, and 2 tablespoons butter. Add the rest of the milk 1 tablespoon at a time if the dough appears too dry. Knead on medium-low speed for 5 minutes until smooth and elastic; dough should be soft and supple. Or knead by hand on the kitchen counter for 8 minutes.
  • On a lightly floured board or kitchen counter, roll the dough out into a 12 inch x 8 inch rectangle, spread the remaining butter on top of2/3 of the rectangle , fold unbuttered side onto the top of second third then fold the buttered third portion on top, like an envelope. Repeat roll and fold two more times or until dough is no longer sticky.
  • Transfer dough into a lightly oiled container, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and let ferment at room temperature on the kitchen counter for 1 hour. Knead dough lightly to remove air bubbles. Divide dough into 3 parts and shape into 1 inch-thick logs. Roll each log on bread crumbs. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hour. Cut logs into 15 grams or ½ ounce portions (these are really tiny) or any size you prefer, and roll on bread crumbs. Arrange on baking sheets lined with parchment paper 1½ inches apart, cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden in color. Serve while hot.

size comparison: half-ounce Baliwag pandesal and 2-ounce regular pandesal



27 comments:

Kim, USA said...

Thanks to this recipe I am dying to make pandesal. ^_^

Young Coconut

Winnie said...

These buns look awesome!
I like this recipe and hopefully I'm gonna try it soon

Tetcha said...

Poor me, I don't bake, but I'd love to try that Baliwag pandesal, great for breakfast! Here's my FF entry: http://www.delightmyappetite.com/2012/02/delicious-spam-musubi-from-mister-musubi/

Iska said...

Congratulations on your pandesal! I wish I could get back to baking again and try that. Those look soft and filling :-)

i♥pinkc00kies said...

pandesal... perfect for breakfast & paired with coffee! Mmmm!!

Unknown said...

wow, may vintage recipe ka pa!:p
now it's Pan de Manila or Pan de Pugon. i can eat pandesal anytime of the day, pati midnight snack.:p

maiylah said...

early morning right now, and am missing my pandesal. i wish we have a bakery near our place! i haven't tried baking pandesal myself, but we used to have a bakery eons ago back home (we had a baker who did all the baking, lol though we helped, sometimes). i miss those days... :)

first time i've heard of baliwag pandesal...will google it!

thanks so much for sharing over at Food Friday, Ms. Oggi

cusinera said...

I'm going to definitely try this Baliwag Pandesal Recipe of yours....as I have a big bag of bread flour sitting idly inside my pantry cupboard! Love the yellowy colour, intriga tlaga ako gawin =)

Linzie said...

A Pinay here! We just tried this recipe, this needed more flour that what was written.

Oggi said...

Hi Linzie,
Did you follow the recipe as I have re-written? I specifically wrote to divide the milk and add the other half 1 TABLESPOON AT A TIME. You didn't have to add the rest of the milk if the dough was too wet for you to handle.

Anonymous said...

Im going to trythis one and revise it for business thanks for the recipe. Im going to copy this recipe. thank you so much

Anonymous said...

thanks for this recipe. taste creamy, soft, lean. it isspecial. im planning to sell my product in my place but it is costly because of the eggs, butter and evap milk.

Anonymous said...

hi, i can't find bread flour, what can i use instead of that?

Oggi said...

All-purpose four is okay to use.

Anonymous said...

where did you use the remaining 3T of butter?

Oggi said...

Please READ the entire procedure. It's there.

Anonymous said...

Oh I see. It's for greasing. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

LOL. Sorry. Not for greasing. I misunderstood that part.

mrsorchddork said...

Oggi, this recipe is amazing. I have tried several that I found on the Net, but this one takes the cake. Just smelling it baking in the oven reminded me of my childhood. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

im going to try this thank you!

Anonymous said...

Oggi, I followed this afternoon the intructions in your recipe (step by step) and ....it was good! The baliwag pandesal is so soft and super yummy! I'm actually on a diet..i forgot my wheat bread...i cant help it...i ate more than 3 pcs! Sarap kasi! Thanks for sharing your recipe...God bless and more power!

Unknown said...

the best pandesal recipe so far, i tried a lot but this is perfect! thanks to OGGI

Anonymous said...

You should have an award for this recipe. I had tried so many recipes from the Internet but so far this is the best. I bake it every third day .
Thanks for sharing it. You are a generous person. I shared it to a friend and she loves it very much. Thanks again

Oggi said...

You're all welcome and I'm glad the you like the recipe. Cheers!

Malibu said...

Do you use dry (in canister) or fresh bread crumbs? Also, can you give the approximate quantity one recipe yields (of the small size noted)? Can't wait to try!

Oggi said...

Malibu.
I use panko processed to fine crumbs. I can't remember how many pieces this recipe yields.

Anonymous said...

I miss this pandesal. Fernando's bakery jn Baliwag was known for this. I also remember vendors peddling this in Baliwag transit. precious memories of my youth

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com