March 21, 2013

Soy Lecithin

Labels: , , ,


The other day I made salad dressing, refrigerated the half cup left-over, and naturally the oil gathered on top. No matter how I shake the dressing, it's so stubborn and wouldn't want to socialize and mix with the vinegar, unlike store-bought dressing. Then I remembered I have soy lecithin I bought a while back. It's supposed to aid in emulsifying everything from candy bars to sauces to hand cream, and it's also used to make breads rise higher.

I dissolved half a tablespoon of granules in 2 tablespoons warm water and added to the balsamic vinaigrette. I over-processed it and the dressing turned into mayonnaise-like consistency, which isn't a bad thing, actually. I used it to dip fries because I like my fries either with mayonnaise or malt vinegar and this turned out perfect. It's also good with boiled egg.


Balsamic Vinegar Dressing
makes 9 ounces
½ tablespoon soy lecithin powder or granules
2 tablespoons warm water
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
dash of ground white pepper
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup light olive oil
  • In a small bowl, dissolve lecithin in 2 tablespoons water. In a blender or food processor, place lecithin and water and the next 5 ingredients; blend for a few seconds. Add oil and blend just until emulsified and slightly thickened. Transfer into a jar or bottle and refrigerate until ready to use.

great with tomatoes and vegetables


fat fries


or boiled egg

Food Friday

6 comments:

Winnie said...

This is definitely super unique!
I've eaten lecithin before - granulated lecithin, but bever dressing made with it
I'm very curious!

Unknown said...

those dips are mouth-watering! i like my fries dipped in mayo, too.:p boiled egg with dipping sauce is new to me, salt lang ok na ako. mukhang masarap nga!:p

Dexie said...

Wow. I need to search that soy lecithin. PS, I like my fries with mayonnaise too :)

Maricel said...

I haven't tried it yet but I read in a Cook's Illustrated Magazine that a trick to emulsify vinaigrettes is to add a teaspoon of mayonnaise to the mixture.

maiylah said...

oooh, galing! this is new for me! love it!

appreciate much your sharing and linking over at Food Friday, Ms. Oggi
enjoy the rest of the week!

Oggi said...

Thanks Maricel for the tip. I'll try that.

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com