February 7, 2014

Oggi Dreams of Jiro's Tamagoyaki

Labels: , , ,


Oh, I've been dreaming of Jiro style grilled omelet since I viewed the documentary, Jiro Dreams of Sushi, many months ago. I looked for copy cat recipes online but didn't find any that looks like Jiro's but read that his recipe has mountain yam, shrimp called shiva ebi, sugar, salt, mirin, and a little soy sauce. In the movie an apprentice does preparation techniques for 10 years before he is allowed to try making tamagoyaki.

Last week I saw a bin full of mountain yam at the Korean grocery store and immediately I was imagining myself eating Jiro's grilled omelet. The yam is unlike any yams I've eaten before. It is extremely snotty in texture when grated and probably the ingredient that makes the omelet moist, smooth, and fluffy. You'll need a special grater for it though.


tamagoyaki from their official website

Here is my attempt at Jiro-style grilled eggs. I used very little sugar as opposed to the tons of sugar in recipes I found in online magazines and food blogs. Adjust the seasonings to your preference. The omelet is really good and very tasty. I love it!

Tamagoyaki (Grilled Omelet)
4 pieces large prawns
3 ounces Japanese mountain yam, grated
1 egg yolk
4 whole eggs
1 teaspoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons mirin
2 teaspoons sugar
½ teaspoon sea salt
light olive oil


  • Shell, devein, and chop prawns. Place in a small food processor and process to a paste. Add the grated mountain yam and process until emulsified. 
  • Transfer into a bowl and beat in egg yolk. Beat in eggs one at a time. Stir together soy sauce, mirin, salt, and sugar in a small bowl. Stir well into the egg mixture. 
  • Heat on medium heat a non-stick rectangular tamagoyaki pan or a 7-inch non-stick skillet. Brush pan with oil. Pour all the egg mixture and let cook on medium-low until bottom is golden and top is still moist. 
  • Turn on toaster oven's broiler. Transfer pan into oven and broil until top is golden. Run a spatula on pan's edges and carefully  flip the tamagoyaki onto a cutting board. Trim edges and cut into 2 x 1 inch rectangles. Serve with steamed Japanese rice.


The recipe for simpler to make rolled tamagoyaki is here

6 comments:

Gizelle said...

Oh wow! Love your version! really dreamy! hihi. I haven't been into cooking much but just eating out...Thanks for this, I might actually clean up the kitchen and cook like a diva! ;)

Winnie said...

These look very interesting and super unique !

maiylah said...

oopsss, i know i left a comment.
but here it goes again. lol

wow...this is different! i like the idea!
if some add lots of sugar, will they still be serving it together with rice?

thanks much for sharing and linking over at Food Friday, Ms. Oggi
enjoy the rest of the week!

Oggi said...

Maiylah, yeah, with sushi rice. I've made rolled tamagoyaki with more sugar and it was also good. For this recipe I cut the amount of sugar by a third.

meow_Fiz said...

And here is my homemade trial:) https://www.facebook.com/mysushiadvs/photos/a.552621754869308.1073741828.551622564969227/664768343654648/?type=1&theater

cookingwgas said...

thank you! just what I was looking for. watched Jiro Dreams of Sushi last night. : )

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com